Faculty in charge:
This course develops a basic understanding of active semiconductor devices. Focuses on building an understanding of BJT and CMOS devices in both digital and analog applications.
For students to:
- Understand how to approach analysis and design of circuits with nonlinear elements, including diodes, BJTs and MOSFETs, with an emphasis on design oriented analysis techniques.
- Understand the principles of operation for pn junctions, semiconductor diodes, MOSFETs and BJTs, including intuition behind the physical meaning of device model parameters and limitations of models.
- Understand how to analyze and design basic amplifier gain stages and digital logic gates using MOSFETs and BJTs.
- Review of analysis techniques for linear, time-invariant (LTI) circuits
- Physical operation of diodes and design and analsyis of diode circuits
- Physical operation of MOSFETs and design and analysis of MOSFET circuits and amplifiers
- Physical operation of BJTs and design and analysis of BJT circuits and amplifiers
- Design of logic gates using transistors
- Operational amplifiers
- Adel S. Sedra and Kenneth C. Smith, Microelectronic Circuits, 6th Edition, Oxford University Press, 2009, ISBN-13: 978-0-19-532303-0.